data-mm-id=”_cpe42m3m8″>Everybody knows the Chicago Bears will be selecting Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall in the 2024 NFL Draft. No one knows what will happen after the Bears are off the clock. The rest of the first round of the draft is layered with intrigue, starting with the No. 2 overall pick held by the Washington Commanders. There admittedly isn't much mystery surrounding what position the Commanders will target with the second pick in the first round. They need a quarterback, and the team's decision to trade last year's starter in Sam Howell eliminated any remaining doubt. Which quarterback is the question. Drake Maye was considered the second-best prospect in this year's class going into the 2023 season. But an underwhelming year from the North Carolina product opened the door for competition, and Jayden Daniels delivered. The LSU signal-caller won the Heisman Trophy after a highly productive season and his draft stock has skyrocketed in the months leading up to the draft. He successfully elbowed his way into the top-five discussion and now most mock drafts have Daniels going, at worst, No. 3 overall to the New England Patriots. On Monday, Colin Cowherd put on his reporter hat and told The Herd's audience that, as of now, the Commanders would take Daniels over Maye. For all sorts of reasons. "I've been told the Washington Commanders as of today would choose Jayden Daniels." — @ColinCowherd pic.twitter.com/8olWMrgac9— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) April 8, 2024Whether or not this will happen, much less be the right decision, remains to be seen. But you know what? It feels like Maye has fallen victim to the Draft Industrial Complex. By which I mean the narrative surrounding Maye has taken on a life of its own to his detriment, simply because he's such a good prospect that he's actually boring. To be clear, Maye is by no means perfect. This past season with the Tar Heels revealed some flaws in his game that were hidden by the better supporting cast he enjoyed in 2022. But the guy has the frame of a prototypical pocket passer, standing 6-foot-4 and weighing 230 pounds. He has the arm to make any throw you could dream up and did so over the last two years. His tape is littered with examples of Maye successfully progressing from his first read to his last and making the throw. He isn't perfect in that department. Hell, Maye isn't perfect in many ways. He gets happy feet in the pocket for no reason, and is the only quarterback of the top group with a tendency to completely airmail short passes. That said, the goal is not to find the perfect prospect — because that prospect does not exist. Yet every year there's one guy, oftentimes a quarterback, who gets knocked for not being perfect. This year it feels like Maye is that guy, and it's possible we look back on the previous months of discourse in utter disbelief once the games start. None that is a knock against Daniels. He's skinny as a beanpole and has a disturbing tendency to hurl himself headfirst into gigantic hits for seemingly no reason. But there's a lot to like about him. The Commanders could end up looking like geniuses for taking him No. 2 if that comes to fruition. A whole lot can and will change in the next three weeks and the last time Cowherd tried reporting NFL Draft knowledge he got a call from Caleb Williams' camp. So we'll see. But this is where I plant my flag on the Drake Maye narrative mountain.
Related Posts
Barcelona are interested in signing Josko Gvardiol from RB Leipzig in the summer transfer window, according to . The report has claimed that Croatia international centre-back Gvardiol is among the defenders that La Liga giants Barcelona are following in case they fail to secure the services of Jules Kounde from Spanish rivals Sevilla in the summer transfer window.
Former La Liga and UEFA Champions League winners Barcelona are keen on signing Kounde this summer, but they are facing stiff competition from Chelsea. The Blues’ offer to Sevilla and to the player himself is superior to that from Barcelona, who are now looking at alternatives in case they are unable to bring the France international centre-back to Camp Nou this summer.
Gvardiol can also operate as a left-bac…
Marcus Rashford is in talks over an extension on his Manchester United contract, which currently expires in mid-2024.
Rashford has scored 22 goals in all competitions this season, including a run of 14 strikes in 16 games.
Last off-season, United triggered a one-year option to prevent him becoming a free agent in June but interest in Rashford is ramping up amid his hot form.
TOP STORY – MAN UTD PLACE £120M PRICE ON RASHFORD
Manchester United have slapped a bumper £120 million price tag on in-form forward Marcus Rashford to ward off interest, claims The Daily Star.
Rashford, who is in the form of his life, has been the subject of reported interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.
Barcelona are also monitoring Rashford accordin…
Juventus will be without midfielder Sami Khedira for around three months after he underwent successful knee surgery on Wednesday, the Serie A club announced.
The Bianconeri had earlier said Khedira would travel to Augsburg for the arthroscopic cleaning procedure in his left knee after missing Sunday s 2-2 draw against Sassuolo.
Juve reported the operation was perfectly successful and Germany international Khedira could immediately begin rehabilitation.
The 32-year-old, who has made 17 appearances in all competitions for Maurizio Sarri s team this season, is set to return in March.
Khedira had the same surgery on his right knee at the end of last season.
Successful knee surgery for Khedira:
— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen)
…
Brazilian superstar Kaka believes controversial Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo will succeed him as the world s best player.
The AC Milan midfielder cleaned up in 2007, winning both the FIFA World Player of the Year award and the European Golden Ball, following a year in which he guided the San Siro side to the Champions League, scoring 10 goals on the way to victory.
Now he feels the Portuguese winger s exploits in helping the English side to succeed Milan as European champions warrants him lifting the various trophies.
I believe that the number one candidate is still Cristiano Ronaldo, above all for what he did and won in the Champions League with Manchester United, Kaka told La Gazzetta dello Sport s Sportweek magazine.
However, he isn …
Eric Bailly became Jose Mourinho s first signing at Manchester United on Wednesday, the defender signing a four-year contract at Old Trafford.
A reported fee of £30million secured his services from Villarreal and the 22-year-old is understandably relishing his new challenge in the Premier League.
Mourinho described the centre-back as a defender with great natural talent , but Bailly – who is still awaiting his work permit – is a bit of an unknown to most United fans.
Here we take a look at some of Bailly s standout stats from 2015-16 that convinced United to splash the cash so early in the transfer window.
25 – Bailly was a regular feature in Villarreal s starting line-up throughout the campaign, making 25 appearances in the Liga as Mar…
Andre Hahn put Bayern Munich s Bundesliga title celebrations on hold as his second-half strike secured a 1-1 draw for Borussia Monchengladbach at Allianz Arena.
Bayern went into Saturday s match seven points clear of second-placed Borussia Dortmund and in the knowledge a win over Gladbach would be enough for a record-breaking fourth successive championship.
Thomas Muller eased the home faithful s nerves when he marked his 350th appearance for the Bavarian club with a header that squirmed beyond visiting goalkeeper Yann Sommer in the sixth minute.
But Bayern were guilty of stepping off the gas and required an impressive reaction save from Manuel Neuer to deny Hahn shortly before the interval.
Hahn got the better of the Germany international goalkeeper with…
Sunday People is reporting that Liverpool are weighing up a summer bid for Malaga midfielder Manuel Iturra.
The Chilean arrived at La Rosaleda last summer on a free transfer from Real Murcia, but was only offered a one-year deal.
Malaga chiefs could live to regret that decision as the player has rejected a new contract offer and plans to leave the club on a free transfer at the end of the season.
Liverpool are closely monitoring the situation and they will probably jump at the opportunity to sign such a high-quality player free of charge.
Manuel Iturra, 28, only moved to Europe in January 2011, joining Uniao Leiria, but his career has since been on a constant uptrend.
After just six months in Portugal he went on to sign for Real Murcia and spent …
France coach Laurent Blanc has told defender Laurent Koscielny he will need to fight for a spot in the starting line-up.
Blanc, who has revitalised the French national side following a disastrous World Cup campaign in 2010, has declared Philippe Mexes and Adil Rami as his preferred starters in the centre of defence.
However, the 46-year-old coach insists Koscielny can carve out a place in the team with good performances in training.
We ve got two big players in central defence and I hope they play very well tomorrow, Blanc said ahead of his team s clash with England on Monday.
Laurent needs to make sure these two players are worried about their place and are kept on their toes.
Koscielny has had a very good season with Arsenal but, as you know…
It looks like Bayern Munich are serious about their interest in Leroy Sane. Manchester City s winger had a somewhat tough spring at the Etihad, as Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva were the ones who were starting in front of him in Pep Guardiola s team and there were reports that the player was not happy about it. But now we know what are people from Bayern thinking about Sane.
Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic did not want to comment too much on it when he spoke to Sport Bild, but he did not deny the interest either. But Hoeness has since clarified that the Bundesliga champions are already advancing on their interest.
We are dealing with this player, Hoeness told Sueddeutsche Zeitung. I’ve already seen many times how good he is, he said. That’s a pl…
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo is confident he can keep going for years to come at the elite level of football.
The Portugal captain, who turned 33 on Monday, has shown signs of a decline in his form this season for the first time in his glittering career.
The forward has only scored eight goals in 17 LaLiga matches in 2017-18, four of which have come in Madrid s last two matches, although he has nine in six games in the Champions League.
But Ronaldo has dismissed any concerns about his ability to maintain his extraordinary standards in the future.
On a personal level, this is a fantastic time for me, he told GQ magazine. I have a growing family and I am very happy with my life.
On a professional level, I have had two very good years in whic…